Summer activities for kids during COVID-19 lockdown
| Aug 24 , 2020
Let’s face it, the past few months have been a challenging time for parents—but this might not be such a bad thing.
When lockdown measures were introduced back in March and schools and businesses closed down overnight—families started to realise that they were in for big changes. As the months have gone on, parents have found themselves trying to work from home and act as teachers to their children—whether that be with support from their school or from various educational websites online.
Whether your child is managing 5 minutes of schoolwork a day or 5 hours, one of the biggest challenges facing parents is how to keep their children from bouncing off the walls! Parenting can be really tiring at the best of times, and now we have the added pressure of trying to work and keep our children entertained at home as well—it’s a whole new level of tiredness.
To try and help you to stop bouncing off the walls, the booicore team have put their heads together and come up with some ideas for summer activities for kids during the lockdown. Print it off and hand it to your kids, ready for them to tick off:
- Explore a new place—it could be a beautiful wood or some castle ruins. Make sure you tell someone where you’re going first—or take the whole family and make a day of it
- Ask your parents for permission to dig up a small part of your garden, and then pretend you're Indiana Jones conducting your own archaeological dig! Pop any interesting finds in your booicore kit bag to share with your family later
- Challenge your neighbours to your very own socially distanced version of the Olympics—it’s a great way to get to know them during this strange time
- Start a band—don’t worry if you have no instruments—just use your voices!
- Make your own super cool (and healthy) ice lollies using fresh juice
- Organise a family photoshoot with the people in your social bubble—then just strike a pose
- Take part in the UK library’s summer reading challenge—this summer’s theme is “the Silly Squad”
- Try and break a world record—go to the Guinness World Book of Records website for some ideas
- Write a script for a short movie, and then get your family to act it out
- Do one thing each week to help the planet—maybe join a beach clean up operation or litter picking in your neighbourhood
- Learn to count to ten in another language—may come in useful one day
- Go on a night time picnic as a family—don’t forget to pack your booikids poncho towel robe to keep you warm and toasty
- Have a country day, where you choose another country to learn about and eat one of its national dishes
We hope that this list has given you some ideas of ways to keep your kids entertained during the summer holidays while the lockdown restrictions are still in place. Please share your family moments with us on social media using the hashtag #booicoremoments.